Invisalign for Adults
Invisalign for Adults
The Invisalign orthodontic correction system is yet another wonderful example of the positive impact of technology in the dental sciences. Currently, there are over six million Invisalign users, and the majority are adults. This is quite significant since the majority of people with traditional braces are children and teens.
The number of adults receiving orthodontic treatment is on the rise with the Invisalign clear aligners. Invisalign clear aligners are a comfortable, removable, and almost invisible alternative to traditional braces. Unlike braces, Invisalign is made of a durable plastic material and fabricated to fit your unique bite. No metal wires or brackets. And you can take the Invisalign tray out whenever you want, for eating, brushing, meetings, dates, or photographs.
How Does the Invisalign System Work?
Invisalign is terrific at correcting crooked teeth, gaps, overbites or underbites. At your initial consultation, your dentist will take a digital scan of your teeth that is used to create a 3-D model. That information is used to propose a personal treatment plan for you and to generate a 3-D image of your finished treatment. Once the corrective objective is approved the digital information is loaded into a CAD/CAM system and a series of digitally designed custom aligner trays are fabricated.
The custom trays are designed to be changed every two weeks at home. To achieve your goals and get the full effect of the gentle pressure being applied it is recommended that you wear your Invisalign clear aligners 20-22 hours each day. You can remove Invisalign whenever you need to eat, brush, floss or clean the trays, but you will want to leave them in as much as possible to achieve the best and quickest results. Your dentist will schedule checkups with you every 6-8 weeks to monitor your treatment process is going well.
The Primary Benefits of Invisalign for Adults
* They Are Invisible- You can improve your smile discreetly. You are not too old to correct your alignment. The American Association of Orthodontists estimates that one in five orthodontic patients are adults. Even though age is not a factor when it comes to whether you can get braces, it certainly plays a significant role when it comes to how important discretion can be for you.
The single biggest reason Invisalign is the most popular orthodontic treatment for adults is because the trays are difficult to even see. Traditional braces are obvious, and that can lead to adults feeling self-conscious.
Orthodontic treatment and improving your oral health are nothing to be embarrassed about, but the nearly invisible appearance of Invisalign makes it appealing for adults. Invisalign is not invisible, and if someone looks very closely, they can see the translucent plastic aligner.
* You Can Eat and Drink- You do not need to change your diet. Traditional braces come with a lengthy list of foods to avoid, mostly foods that are chewy, sticky, crunchy, and hard. Sticky candy and gum are treats to avoid, but you also need to avoid popcorn, bagels, crusty bread, crunchy raw vegetables and fruits, and chewy meats.
You do not need to give up any favorite foods with Invisalign. Simply remove your aligners and enjoy your meal.
* No Discomfort- You will spend less time on dental appointments. As a busy and active adult, it is better for you to have fewer dental visits. Since Invisalign aligners are one piece and are made with 3D imaging, you no longer need to come in for the arch wire adjustments that create immediate discomfort. You can expect to see your dentist every six to eight weeks to monitor progress. Traditional braces usually require adjustment every four to six weeks. With Invisalign, the visits will be much quicker, as they will just consist of your dentist reviewing the straightening progress rather than adjusting or tightening.
* It is Faster- Another benefit of the Invisalign aligner system is that you might straighten your teeth faster than expected. Usually, you will wear an Invisalign aligner for two weeks and then receive your new aligner. However, you may choose to have new aligners replaced weekly, which means they could straighten your teeth quicker.
The average treatment time for Invisalign users is 12 to 18 months with aligner changes every two weeks. More severe correction may require a longer treatment time. If you only need minor teeth straightening, you could realistically require treatment for only three to eight months, especially if you choose to replace your aligners every week.
* Low Maintenance- You do not need to worry about discoloration, thanks to easy oral hygiene maintenance. A common issue that can occur with traditional braces is discoloration. The discoloration is known as WSLs or orthodontic white spot lesions. WSLs are the result of plaque buildup on the teeth. They can occur even if you do not have traditional braces, but the risk of WSLs developing with traditional braces is much higher.
The reason for WSLs forming is quite simple. Since traditional braces are fixed in place, brushing and flossing are more difficult. If you are not fully brushing and flossing around the braces, plaque builds up and WSLs can form.
Discoloration associated with traditional braces is preventable by maintaining deliberate oral hygiene, but it is so much easier maintaining perfect oral hygiene with Invisalign. Since Invisalign aligners are removed during brushing and flossing, you do not have brackets and wires to deal with. Achieving a very thorough cleaning is much easier, plus you will be able to easily spot any issues with plaque buildup, discoloration, or yellowing and get them addressed by your dentist quickly.
Keep in mind that if you have Invisalign attachments, you will need to pay particular care to thoroughly cleaning around those to ensure no plaque builds up. If you have very few attachments or none, there really is not a dramatic difference compared to normal brushing and flossing.
* You Will Love Your Smile- It is very gratifying to watch someone enjoy their new smile. As dentists, it is one of our favorite moments of the day. While you will see it change quicker, since your aligners are clear, than patients with traditional wire braces, it still makes us happy. You should smile with confidence; you are the most beautiful when you are not hiding your smile.