Mini Dental Implants
While traditional dental implants are an effective treatment option for correcting missing teeth, the process of having a traditional implant placed is extensive, taking place over several months. In some cases, preparatory procedures such as tooth extractions, dental bone grafts, and/or sinus lifts may also be necessary before the implant can even be placed.
Patients who do not meet the qualifications for traditional dental implants or who would prefer to avoid this lengthy process may be good candidates for mini dental implants, which can often be placed in just one visit. Mini dental implants, as their name implies, are similar to regular implants, but are smaller in form. Compared to regular dental implants, which are, on average, 3.4-5.8 mm in width, the average diameter of mini implants is between 1.8-3.33 and the average length is between 10-15 mm.
Prior to placement of the mini dental implant, you will be given a local anesthetic and/or light sedation to ensure that you are comfortable while the procedure is being performed. Next, the mini dental implants are placed into your jawbone using a precise surgical technique that is suture free and minimally invasive. Once the implants are properly positioned, the procedure will be complete and you can begin to enjoy your full smile again.
Benefits of Mini Dental Implants
Unique benefits of mini dental implants include:
- Smaller: Because they are roughly half the size of regular implants, the mini dental implant procedure is less invasive and less painful.
- Faster healing time: Because the procedure is less invasive, the time needed to heal following the mini dental implant procedure is much faster
- Instant results: Unlike traditional implants, which require multiple appointments spread out over several months, mini dental implants can often provide results the day they are placed.
- Cost affordable: Mini dental implants are much less expensive than traditional implants.
- Halts decay and preserves bone structure: When a tooth is missing for some time, the jawbone naturally begins to deteriorate. Following placement of your mini dental implant, your jawbone will receive the necessary stimulation to prevent it from atrophying. Also, because the implant is made of titanium, it is not susceptible to periodontal disease and decay.
- Restores functionality: Having a mini dental implant will restore your ability to enjoy all the foods you once did and will feel just like the rest of your natural teeth.
- Enhanced self-confidence: Having a full, healthy looking smile is essential for a person to feel confident about their smile and have a strong overall sense of self-worth.
Given that they are less expensive, take less time, are less invasive, require less visits to the dentist, and can be completed with very little discomfort and in only one visit, it is little surprise that mini dental implants have become an increasingly popular treatment option for people who are missing one or more teeth. To learn more about mini dental implants and see if they are the right treatment option for you, contact your periodontist today!